Monday, September 27, 2010

No, no, and no

I wrote to a friend today that I have no energy, no motivation and no inspiration for writing right now. Some call that writer's block. It's not writer's block. And yes, I know you are going to re-read that last sentence in the Arnold "Kindergarten Cop" voice, because I know I did.

Writer's block means that a writer can't come up with something to write. That's not my problem. I have about twenty-five somethings to write sitting in files on my computer. Some are half-written outlines, some are barely-started first chapters. Most are in the form of a "back of the book" style synopsis. By the way, I love writing those; I know I won't get to do it for my own books some day but I still love writing them.

My problem is that life is dragging me down. The old adage for writers is BIC, which stands for Butt In Chair. That's the cure-all for writer's block and writer's lack-of-energy-or-motivation-or-whatever-it-is-that's-keeping-me-from-writing. But I can't put my butt in the chair. I want to spend time with my son. I like spending time with my wife. And I have to get up at 5:30 every morning to get ready for work which means no staying up late to write.

Sigh. Ok, just a vent posting today, but at least it's writing something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment